Drinking water: Essential habits for your health and how much water should you drink a day
Water, as you might know, is the essence of life, and, as such, it is vital for your health. Just like a plant, your body needs water in order to correctly function. Water indeed has numerous benefits for your health, body, and organs, such as:
- Avoiding dehydration,
- Providing cells with oxygen,
- Moisturising skin and other tissues,
- Avoiding congestion,
- Strengthening muscles.
The well-known rule of thumb that an adult should drink 8 glasses of water per day is not very accurate, but it might be a good overall guideline. Depending on physical activity as well as body weight, an average adult should consume two to three liters of liquid each day, but it is essential to note that this liquid is partly absorbed through food. When it comes to liquids as such though, nothing beats water, as it has no calories, no fat, and no sugar.
Recommendations regarding water consumption
- Drink a glass of water after getting up in the morning.
- If you don’t like the taste of pure water, add a slice of lemon, lime or orange to your glass.
- Don’t forget to take quick breaks from work to drink water.
- Use reusable, BPA-free bottles on the go.
- Again, avoid other beverages. There’s nothing like water.
- Drink enough water before, during or after exercising.
- Avoid drinking large quantities of water fast or at once.
- Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink water.
- Stay hydrated, especially in hot weather.