We asked over 500 people across the UK to rank the taste and quality of the tap water where they live. This is what people said.
Best in order of ranking:
- South West (Bristol)
- Yorkshire and the Humber (Leeds)
- North Ireland (Belfast)
- Wales (Cardiff)
Worst in order of ranking:
- East of England (Norwich)
- East Midlands (Leicester)
- South East (Southampton)
- Greater London (London)
- West Midlands (Birmingham)
Notes/comments about the ranking:
- Cities within brackets represents the majority of respondents to the survey in each region.
- Many of the regions have multiple water sources so water quality could differ across the region.
- The ranking is based on people’s opinions of taste and quality and not actual water quality. At the time of the survey all regions met the government requirements of drinkable tap water.
- Bad taste is usually attributable to chlorine or high levels of minerals. This is aesthetic rather than water quality.
We also observed that 56% of Londoners think bottled water is healthier than tap water vs 21% in Scotland and North East.
Do you agree / disagree with the ranking? Comment below!