What is Hydrogen Water?
Hydrogen water is ordinary drinking water enriched with H2 gaseous molecular hydrogen. Hydrogen water is tasteless and odorless; hydrogen molecules in such water are in no way associated with water molecules, i.e. it contains hydrogen in its pure molecular H2 form. Therefore, the water formula does not change.
Hydrogen water has pronounced therapeutic and wellness properties confirmed by numerous scientific studies on humans and animals.
To date, more than 1,500 studies worldwide, including the USA, Japan, Korea, China, Serbia, Mexico, Germany, and Slovakia, have been published on molecular hydrogen therapy and the study of the hydrogen water effect on the human body.
In simple terms, as usual, aeration is saturated with CO2 (gas), so for the production of hydrogen water, it is saturated with H2 (hydrogen gas).
Moreover, chemically hydrogen is absolutely inert, i.e. it does not react or enter at high temperature or pressure. But, as scientific experiments have proven, the hydrogen molecule has a high chemical potential, i.e. an effect on the biological and biochemical processes in our body.
Today, judging by the research of Molecular Hydrogen Institute, the most influential international organization that deals with the therapeutic properties of hydrogen, more than 30% of the population of Japan and more than 20% of South Korea population regularly use hydrogen water by water machine, both in packaging and water enriched with hydrogen by stationary hydrogen generators and portable hydrogen generators.
It is thanks to these countries and a group of scientists from Japan, Korea, and China that the triumphal procession and distribution of hydrogen water and hydrogen therapy began throughout the world.
Characteristics of Hydrogen Water
So, what are the basic and most important characteristics of hydrogen water?
- ORP: Redox Potential (REDOX, ORP)
- pH: acidity index
- The concentration of molecular hydrogen: measured in ppb/ppm (part per million), or mg/l
The negative (minus) oxidation-reduction potential (ORP) of hydrogen water can vary from 150 to 600 mV, depending on how the process of saturation proceeds, the quality of water, its type, saltiness, etc.
The pH value of hydrogen water, obtained using electrolysis technology and direct saturation (saturation with H2), corresponds to the pH of the water that has been saturated. When receiving hydrogen water by direct electrolysis, the pH becomes slightly alkaline.
Hydrogen concentration. Molecular hydrogen has extremely low water solubility. However, even under such conditions, its amount in water is sufficient for biochemical reactions.
At normal atmospheric pressure, a maximum of 1.8 ml of hydrogen dissolves in 1000 ml of water. This corresponds to 1.8 ppm. If a device is equipped with a system that allows you to increase the pressure in the bottle, the concentration can reach 2.5-2.7 ppm.
In this case, the therapeutic efficacy of hydrogen starts from a concentration of 0.5 to 10 ppm.
Mechanism of H2 Action on living organisms
In many scientific studies, molecular hydrogen exhibits antioxidant-like effects and properties. Science does not stand still, discoveries in hydrogen medicine occur every year, and today only 3 ways of the antioxidant effect of molecular hydrogen have been studied:
1. Inhibition of ROS (reactive oxygen species) increase (free radicals). Hydrogen is able to inhibit and suppress the hydroxyl radical (OH) in body cells. Several pathways of molecular hydrogen exposure in the human body are already known with certainty.
2. Inhibition of RNS (reactive nitrogen species) increase. Molecular hydrogen inhibits the formation of NO2 which in turn suppresses the formation of ONOO- (peroxynitrite), which reduces oxidative stress.
3. Increases the regulation of powerful endogenous antioxidants. Our cells have their own natural defense system and produce the body's own antioxidants, such as superoxide dismutase, catalase, glutathione peroxidase. Hydrogen enhances our endogenous antioxidants by activating the Nrf2 keap1 system through the properties of hydrogen signal modulation.
Anti-inflammatory effect of Hydrogen Water
Molecular hydrogen in scientific studies has demonstrated striking anti-inflammatory effects and properties.
Hydrogen has a profound effect on the immune system and inflammatory processes in the human body in the following 4 ways:
- Decreasing excessive inflammation by reducing oxidative stress.
- Lowering inflammatory cytokine levels.
- Increasing the important anti-inflammatory cytokines level.
- Prevention of inflammation.
Hydrogen has a unique ability to penetrate cells and even tiny structures inside cells (organelles), such as mitochondria and the nucleus. No other molecules can penetrate deep into the cells.
Hydrogen water affects various paths:
- Inflammatory cytokines reduction (TNF-alpha and gamma, IL-6, IL-1 beta, IL-10, IL-12, NF-κB).
- Сancer-causing genes decrease (decrease in caspase 3, caspase 12, caspase 8, Bcl-2, BAX).
- Increased activity of genes associated with cancer (bFGF, HGF, IFNy).
- Reduced activity of genes associated with inflammation (i-NOS, VEGF, CCL2, ICAM-1, PGE2).
- Energy metabolism increase (increased FGF21).
- Increased ghrelin which can also reduce inflammation.
- Detox genes activation (Nrf2 and heme-oxygenase-1)
Summary of what you need to know about Hydrogen Water
We have considered a life enhancing drink today, namely, hydrogen water and its benefits to human health. Overall the available research concludes that it’s either beneficial or neutral with no negative effects. So, drinking hydrogen water is recommended for both children and adults.
Preferably use a hydrogen water machine with a TAPP filter to filter it beforehand. Avoid buying bottled hydrogen water as it’s bad for the environment. Remember that hydrogen water should be drunk as soon as possible after saturation with hydrogen to ensure the preservation of high concentration.
Live a long and healthy life and drink more water!