Maybe you have read lately the recent news that 93% of bottled water around the world and 92% of tap water is contaminated with microplastics. A recent report also concludes that most human poo contains microplastics and we have no idea what the impact of this is on humans.
The two studies of of bottled water and tap water by Orb Media are the largest of their kind. Orb Media analyzed 250 bottles from 9 different countries around the globe. An average of 40 plastic particles per gallon, each larger than the width of a human hair, were found in bottled water.
But it’s not just bottled water. A previous study by Orb Media, found that 94% of tap water in the USA and 72% in Europe contained microplastics.
We are all worried about what it might do to humans and animals in the long term. No one knows the consequences yet, but better safe than sorry.
- Read more about Orb’s bottled water study here.
- Read more about Orb’s tap water study here and here.
- See original infographic by Statista here.
How can you remove microplastics from tap water at home?
First of all, the smallest microplastics measured by Orb in tap water were about 2.5 micrometres, although most considerably bigger. It’s important to understand the size as this will impact the type of filtering required.
There are three types of filters that will help remove microplastics of this size:
- Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) faucet filters such as TAPP 1: filters contaminants down to about 5 micron (micrometers) so most microplastics will be removed.
- Carbon Blocks faucet filters: the most efficient ones, such as TAPP 2 remove contaminants down to 2 micron.
- Reverse Osmosis filters and Ion Exchange: they can filter down to to 0.001 micron so will remove all microplastics, but are a lot more expensive and require maintenance.
What filter should you choose?
As we don’t know enough about microplastics in drinking water yet, there is no definite answer. For most circumstances, a carbon block filter is an affordable and environmentally friendly way to keep the family safe from microplastics.
Please contact us through the chat or Facebook if you have further questions.
Exclusive offer to remove microplastics
TAPP 2 is the world’s first filter with biodegradable refill cartridges. TAPP 2 is the simple, smart, affordable and eco-friendly way to get fresh, clean water at home. It’s designed to fit onto any faucet in less than 30s. MYTAPP app and web monitors filter usage, cartridge changes, money saved versus bottled water and reduction in plastic waste / CO2. It uses the latest coconut-based micro-filtration technology filtering 80+ contaminants including microplastics, lead, chlorine, THMs and more.